Neighbor Harrassment - help!

ch0wd0wn

Jurisdiction
California
I live in a townhouse. Shared walls and patio fences. From our patios we can see up to our neighbor's 2nd story bedroom window.

My neighbor is 2 elderly couple and a young son ...maybe in his 30s. He don't work or go to school...always hanging around the property. He's not all there suppose. Been neighbor for many years, I never talk to them.

1 day I go on vacation come home and both my front window as well as 2nd story back bedroom windows broken.
I confronted the son and he admitted it was him. He could never tell me why he obviously has few screws loose. I decided to be a good neighbor and just squash things with him. Tried talking to him.

I travel a lot. At times when i'm gone... egg's are being thrown at my 2nd story bedroom. My roommates confront him and he apologizes but doesn't stop. Every so often he throws random things over the fence. The egg's continue... maybe 1 every 2-3 weeks. Finally he broke my window AGAIN.

Called cops, they made report, of course he denied it.

I installed camera's at my bed room window pointing it straight down into his patio (where he throws). He gets pissed, throws eggs, this time I have it on video. Called cops again... they said since damage is not more than 400 that can't arrest him on the spot but they will submit to DA because I want to prosecute. Few days later, he breaks the front window. I have no cameras there. I didn't call cops this time. I finally installed cameras in the front. Now I have cameras everywhere. He throws cigarette butts and small rocks. He looks like he can go postal some day.

I've called HOA, they said they can't handle neighbor disputes like this for me to call cops. They can only deal with common area property damages. I don't feel safe and I cannot sit at home 24/7 trying to protect my property. This guy is unpredictable. BTW talked to his parents, doesn't help, like they can't control him

I am pretty sure they are renting, both retired and he don't work, I doubt they bought this house. Is there any way I can get them kicked out? I have multiple cases with police. Video evidence of the eggs, but unfortunately NOT the broke windows (dang it).

This is really stressing me out, every time I leave the house I worry what he's going to do next.

Please help!!!

If he is a dependent adult you should present any bills for repairs to his parents. If they refuse to pay you could seek a judgment in small claims. This is an option seperate from any police action.
If the parents don't want to pay the repair bills maybe they will be more responsible and keep an eye on him. You can also make a report to social services. If he is a dependent adult they may get involved if he is committing crimes.
Talk with the HOA about permission to temporarily erect a barrier that might protect your windows.

It is NEVER a wise move to make DIRECT contact with a nutball.
Mentally deranged individuals can explode anytime and commit deadly, devestating deeds.
It might be time to investigate obtaining an EMERGENCY ORDER OF PROTECTION.
It is waaaay past the time to AVOID the ticking, human/primate, time bomb.

It is NEVER a wise move to make DIRECT contact with a nutball.
Mentally deranged individuals can explode anytime and commit deadly, devestating deeds.
It might be time to investigate obtaining an EMERGENCY ORDER OF PROTECTION.
It is waaaay past the time to AVOID the ticking, human/primate, time bomb.

Yes he's crazy but he's not schizophrenic ...he still sane enough and smart to do things where he can't be seen. Initially I didn't know so naturally I confronted him. Yes his is a ticking time bomb..

If he is a dependent adult you should present any bills for repairs to his parents. If they refuse to pay you could seek a judgment in small claims. This is an option seperate from any police action.
If the parents don't want to pay the repair bills maybe they will be more responsible and keep an eye on him. You can also make a report to social services. If he is a dependent adult they may get involved if he is committing crimes.
Talk with the HOA about permission to temporarily erect a barrier that might protect your windows.

Yes I actually asked HOA to raise the fence, they said if city approve they approve. I asked the city, they said fences can't be higher than 7 feet. well my window is a good 15 feet up. So I did think about putting like a volley ball style net set up above the fence. I may still consider doing that like you said to protect my windows. Thanks I may pursue the civil matter but i'm more interested in getting rid of this person or something. I'm so worried and stressed everytime I leave my house

Yes he's crazy but he's not schizophrenic ...he still sane enough and smart to do things where he can't be seen. Initially I didn't know so naturally I confronted him. Yes his is a ticking time bomb..

I'm a lawyer, not a psychiatrist, that's my sister.
Anyway, based on your description, to me he's a NUTBALL, a ticking, human/primate, time bomb.

I avoid confronting those types of primates these days.

When I was younger and lived like a savage in a combat zone, I lived for such thrills.

These days, I avoid all confrontations, especially with ticking, primate, whackjobs.

I may pursue the civil matter but i'm more interested in getting rid of this person or something. I'm so worried and stressed everytime I leave my house

These imitations of human life forms rarely get got, such as to consider them gone.

The way I've seen other people obtain relief, respite, and get to live in a civilized manner is they moved.

Yes, I'm sure that is something you don't wish to even entertain.

However, as you've seen, for the most part, no one takes these critters seriously until someone gets hurt badly, or even dies.

Don't allow that to happen to you, or someone you love.

These imitations of human life forms rarely get got, such as to consider them gone.

The way I've seen other people obtain relief, respite, and get to live in a civilized manner is they moved.

Yes, I'm sure that is something you don't wish to even entertain.

However, as you've seen, for the most part, no one takes these critters seriously until someone gets hurt badly, or even dies.

Don't allow that to happen to you, or someone you love.

I do consider moving but this is my house, then I have to rent it out...etc. But yes totally an option. I just don't know how much harassment or eggs, broken window before cops will actually arrest this guy.

I do consider moving but this is my house, then I have to rent it out...etc. But yes totally an option. I just don't know how much harassment or eggs, broken window before cops will actually arrest this guy.

You've recently learned what the police will do, because so far, they've done nothing.

You've also learned just how helpful the HOA is, too.

Yes, it is your house, but it is also YOUR life, isn't it?

Without life, someone else will inherit your house.

Anyway, its also YOUR right to choose, so good luck.

You've recently learned what the police will do, because so far, they've done nothing.

You've also learned just how helpful the HOA is, too.

Yes, it is your house, but it is also YOUR life, isn't it?

Without life, someone else will inherit your house.

Anyway, its also YOUR right to choose, so good luck.

Good point!

The police did do something, just not what you wanted.
If the prosecutor files the complaint it will result in a warrant. A warrant for this still will not result in an arrest but it will move things toward court.
If this person is a loose screw it will probably never actually get to court but be steered toward social services instead.
I see your best bet to change behavior as giving a financial reason for his family members to get him under control.

The police did do something, just not what you wanted.
If the prosecutor files the complaint it will result in a warrant. A warrant for this still will not result in an arrest but it will move things toward court.
If this person is a loose screw it will probably never actually get to court but be steered toward social services instead.
I see your best bet to change behavior as giving a financial reason for his family members to get him under control.

Yes I was thinking of that too... they are retired and don't speak English, so I don't know. But yes I'm trying to pursue all angles. What if they just ignore and don't go to courts..etc

Back