Neighbor Harassing Me About My Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndog

About 5 weeks ago we rescused a stray beagle-mix. He is a inside dog except when we let him out to goto the pee/poop. He is not housebroken yet so if we have to leave for few hours, we leave him outside...access to greenhouse with rug, chew toys, bones, and freshwater. A few weeks caught our neighbor in our yard. Times that we come back home and dog is not on his chain...can't prove she did it. She was complaining that dog does not have adequate shelter and water...it was very dark outside. She has now called animal control 3 times, complaining of barking and inadequate conditions. They have come out and seen our yard and greenhouse and state it was very adequate. Animal control admits everytime they came to investigate our dog was not barking at all. Neighbor has driven her car around to the back when my kids our outside with the dog. Dog only backs when he sees new dogs walk by but stops after about minute. Barks when ready to come in. Never barks at night or when people ring door bell. No complaints from any other neighbors. What are my rights? I feel like I can't let my dog outside? Live in Washington

Last edited:
I would ingore her for now. She is eventually going to get herself in trouble for making false reports to the police and animal control. I would aklso put a no trespassing sign up and let her know next time she goes onto your property you will have her arrested for trespassing.

Thanks for your response. I was thinking of putting up the sign too. I just feel helpless and that our dog is trapped in our house. It's so frustrating.

Neighbors.....

I know what you mean! I own two Jack Russell terriers and recently we bought a small (but still plenty of space for a small dog to run in) fence for them to go out in on good days. We have two neighbors whose back yards border ours. One neighbor says that they never hear the dogs bark. The other neighbor is a different story. The girls/dogs are never outside for more than an hour, it is usually only 10-15 min. They do get plenty of exercise because they go on 5 mile runs at least 4 times a week and get walked every afternoon for 30min. One dog never barks unless there is an animal (rare) or a person in our yard, and its not vicous barking, its excited happy barking. Her sister will bark if she hears someone, but not more than 5 consecutive barks and it lasts only a few minutes. If she continues to bark, we bring her into the house. The neighbor, who has a problem with our dogs, has a 6ft fence surrounding her back yard with cross slats at the top so you can see through. Last august she started using an ultrasonic bark stop device that proved to be only effective in training my dogs to bark at it in an attempt to locate it. They knew that when they barked it went off and they wanted to see what it was. I am still young enough to hear it, so I had headaches just about every afternoon. Something happened and she stoped using it, but before she stopped, she was pacing the fence, rustling leaves, and bouncing a basketball to get my dogs to bark! I was out playing fetch with them one day and it was getting dark outside, so all I had was a flood light. She was at the fence watching me through the slats but I couldn't see her!!! :eek: It was SUCH a creepy feeling. My dogs do NOT have a barking problem and now its a really big deal (theres a lot more to the story). SOmething happened with the ultrasonic bark stop, so she got a whistle. We can hear it from inside with the TV on! She would shout over the fence for us to shut our dogs up, when they would bark once or twice for me to bring them in or play with them. She screamed at my mom that she was leaving them outside for hours on end, unattended, they never stopped barking, the three other dogs in the nieghborhood (who bark a lot) never barked and our dogs always did. My mom told her she was crazy (she really is its kinda scary) and that my mom was always home when the dogs were out, which shocked her. Now we take our dogs outside through a door that she wouldn't be able to hear and she is out there in less than 10 seconds and she can't even see us put them out there. So she might have a camera on us! She sits outside the whole time our dogs are outside writing in her journal and holding a tape recorder! We can see her from our second story windows. She climbs her children's play structure when we bring them inside to see if they are gone and now she straps the recorder and a ?cinderblock? to the thing before going inside. Our dogs barely bark, and only when they are alerting us, she used the whistle on Pearl when she was barking at a stranger in our yard and when my mom told her that and asked her to stop, she blew it at my mom 3 times! :mad: We are afraid to take legal action to make her stop, because she might poison the dogs if she can't blow a non effective whistle at them!! (more to come I have to go for now)

-Sweet Pea & Pearl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back