Negotiate lower rent based on violations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bamino

Jurisdiction
California
My lease is set to expire soon, and from other neighbors in the complex I know the landlord is raising the rent a lot, 30%. The new rent is far more than fair value for these units.
There are several legal/safety violations by the landlord regarding the lease, disclosures, and major safety concerns in the rental.

The landlord has failed to:
-Provide pest control disclosure, even though they have contract with pest control company, violating Civ. Code § 1940.8, Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 8538.
-Disclose asbestos that is present in the rental, violating Calif. H&S §§ 25249. Sometimes I cough and have tightness in my chest at home.
-Post a Prob 65 Sign, violating Cal. Health & Safety Code §§ 25249.5
-Brace my hot water heater, Violation of Cal. Health & Safety Code § 19211.
-Provide outlets that meet federal standards, all outlets are 3 pronged but not grounded, violating National Electrical Code Article 406> I believe I have had a laptop destroyed due to this.

I would like the safety concerns fixed, and a new lease at a rate closer to what I am paying now.

My lease is set to expire soon, and from other neighbors in the complex I know the landlord is raising the rent a lot, 30%. The new rent is far more than fair value for these units.
There are several legal/safety violations by the landlord regarding the lease, disclosures, and major safety concerns in the rental.

The landlord has failed to:
-Provide pest control disclosure, even though they have contract with pest control company, violating Civ. Code § 1940.8, Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 8538.
-Disclose asbestos that is present in the rental, violating Calif. H&S §§ 25249. Sometimes I cough and have tightness in my chest at home.
-Post a Prob 65 Sign, violating Cal. Health & Safety Code §§ 25249.5
-Brace my hot water heater, Violation of Cal. Health & Safety Code § 19211.
-Provide outlets that meet federal standards, all outlets are 3 pronged but not grounded, violating National Electrical Code Article 406> I believe I have had a laptop destroyed due to this.

I would like the safety concerns fixed, and a new lease at a rate closer to what I am paying now.

I would like many things, most of them I'll never see.

If you don't want to pay the rent increase, move.

The landlord doesn't care what you want.

If the current unit isn't worth 30% more, find a unit that is 30% less, but it won't be where you are now.

You go into Walmart to buy sugar. It's $2.75 a bag. You want to pay 75¢ a bag. You'll pay $2.75, but you'll never convince Walmart to sell it to you for 75¢ a bag.

You're free to ask. Your LL is free to say no. You are free to vote with your feet.

Since you appear to know how to read statutes, make sure you read the part about how you give proper termination notice to the LL.

I would like many things, most of them I'll never see.

If you don't want to pay the rent increase, move.

The landlord doesn't care what you want.

If the current unit isn't worth 30% more, find a unit that is 30% less, but it won't be where you are now.

You go into Walmart to buy sugar. It's $2.75 a bag. You want to pay 75¢ a bag. You'll pay $2.75, but you'll never convince Walmart to sell it to you for 75¢ a bag.

Lol the worst reply to a legal question possible. Is this how you live your life???? Why would you waste either of our time with this nonsense? Can I sue you for being worthless?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back