Negligent driving/Engaging in a speed contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

953kgtSL

this is the first time I've ever been pulled over for a traffic violation.
I drive a red mitsubishi 3000gt. my friend was driving a silver trans am. I was following behind him on 56th (in the section that was 55mph) when he slowed to about 30. We came up on the pinelake/56th intersection and he was still going 30. I turned into the other lane to pass him when he sped up. I slowed down and got in the left lane, behind him, and apparently, this is when the cop started tailing us. we got to the intersection at 56th and hwy2 and turned left. I got into the right lane and tried to pass again. (he was still driving 30 in a 45). then he took off. as soon as I saw I was speeding, I slowly stepped on the brakes. I was going the speed limit when the cop turned on his lights behind me and my friend took off. the cop pulled me over and cited me for negligent driving and engaging in a speed contest. He did not cite me for speeding.

I was wondering what the citations mean and how bad they are. I have a court date. I'm only 18.

on the ticket it says Negligent Driving 10.14.290 and engage in speed contest in the "other" box.

Those citations are serious.
You've been accused if racing on the public streets.
You might want to never do that again.
You also might speak to a lawyer.
If you get convicted, the fine us going to be HEFTY.
The points on your license are CHUNKY.
Your insurance rates will rise.
Negligent driving is one step below reckless driving.

Call the court and ask them how much the fine us, and how serious the judge takes the charge.

that is not good. not good at all. would I have any sort of case? could I get the charges lessened or dropped?
In Nebraska, negligent driving is two below reckless, (careless is in between) and is 3 points on your license, or at least that's what the DMV says. On www criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Exhibition-of-Speed.htm they claim that the average fine is up to $500.
I have no prior instances with the law. does that mean they will go soft on me? because this is my first ever offense? or will they "lay down the law" so I never do it again?
again I want to be clear, I was not trying to race, I was going to pass and the other car sped off.

Last edited:
it won't let me edit my post but here is what I wanted to add.
In Nebraska, negligent driving is two under reckless and is 3 points. careless is inbetween.
on the website criminaldefenselawyer.com its says the average fine is up to $500.
I have no prior offenses, and I want to maintain that I was NOT trying to race. also, if the cop has the name (first and last), make and model, color, of my friend's car, if he could get in trouble.

953kgtSL said:
it won't let me edit my post but here is what I wanted to add.
In Nebraska, negligent driving is two under reckless and is 3 points. careless is inbetween.
on the website criminaldefenselawyer.com its says the average fine is up to $500.
I have no prior offenses, and I want to maintain that I was NOT trying to race. also, if the cop has the name (first and last), make and model, color, of my friend's car, if he could get in trouble.

Your friend, the dude that left you to take the fall, will never be prosecuted for his role in your drama. I could provide a lengthy explanation, nevertheless, he's left you to take the fall.

Now for your case, it won't matter what you say. The cop will relate his version of events, and you'll be convicted. The fine is set by state statute and court protocol, in most cases. You'll be ordered to pay a fine (call the court listed on your citation to find out exactly what you'll be charged). They won't go higher, unless you misbehave in court.

You could hire a lawyer. The lawyer will be able to get it dropped to some lesser offense. The lawyer will most likely want $500, but your insurance rates won't increase. Of course, you'll also pay the fine for the lesser offense. It's better than taking the hit for negligent driving.

Good thing I live near a defense lawyer then. My parents used to babysit her kids. But what you're saying is, I'm screwed unless I get a lawyer, right?

953kgtSL said:
Good thing I live near a defense lawyer then. My parents used to babysit her kids. But what you're saying is, I'm screwed unless I get a lawyer, right?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. And, sometimes a lawyer might not help. In this case, I think she will get you a deal. Talk to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back