Negligence

B

brandonarthur

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was wondering if this is negligence and if so, I was wondering if I could sue the university for it. What happened was I applied to Georgia State university and I submitted all of the required forms well in time for the application deadline. The college gave me confirmation that I had submitted everything and I have pictures of that. Today they told me that I didn't have all of the required documents (I was missing a transcript apparently) but I have proof that I sent it. It will take 2 weeks to process that and I have until May 1st to get in all of the documents or I won't get accepted and I won't go to college. The fact that I did what I was supposed to do and submitted and checked over and over (I emailed my admissions counselor but he has yet to reply to any emails I have sent) but they didn't do what they were supposed to do by losing my documents and not responding to my emails. Is that negligence and can I sue them if I don't get in? My qualifications are also well above what the school requires.

Today is April 11. Get it in today. Are you local to the school? If so, head your ass over there and hand deliver it and speak to the admissions registrar. If you aren't local, get the name of the registrar and call them; then with follow up with an email. They then have 24 business days to get the missing transcript in the system. Seems like you have plenty of time. Worry about this first.

This isn't something you would sue over. That would be a waste of your time and money.
It appears you do have time to work this out. As above, a personal appearance at their office to discuss it and work it out will help. I'm sure they are more than willing to work with you. Accidents happen.

my counselor has to send it because they won't take it if it's not from the school directly. I spoke with multiple people at the attendance office and they all said to just send it again

Ok, so you state the counselor resent the transcript. Have you confirmed this with the registrar? I don't care about the student working at the admissions office part time to help pay for school...have you spoken to the registrar to ensure they have the missing document AND things are now 100% in order?

The problem is, my counselor can't send it until tomorrow morning. By the time i was notified about the problem, she had already gone home. I'm going to send the transcript tomorrow and call them soon after. If things don't work out, has the university shown negligence?

No, the university has not shown negligence. Mail can get lost anywhere between the two mailboxes.

Nope, not negligence. Final/official transcripts typically must be sent sealed and sent directly from the school. They are not part of the initial application. Have you been accepted or are you just now applying? It isn't negligence either way but if just now applying, there is no guarantee you would get in even if they had everything. It takes way more than meeting the minimum requirements.

Back