Negligence of Apartment Complex - prolonged exposure to Carbon Monoxide

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenjimz10

Mother of 9-month-old twin boys who woke up feeling dizzy and nauseous. Immediately called apartment complex and told them of my symptoms and that one of the twins vomited. Asked that they come and check for a leak. No one came until I called back in the afternoon asking where he was. Maintenance man came and found a gas leak with the water heater. He repaired it. I then called the gas company. The gasman red-tagged the water heater because the top was not fitted properly causing carbon monoxide to escape. The next day the apartment manager and two maintenance men came and repaired the water heater and removed the red tag. They could be in violation of a building code since I thought that only an inspector had the authority to remove a red tag.

I have photos proving that I have lived with this faulty water heater for over a year in which I was also pregnant. We never have passed out or have sought medical attention. I thought my headaches were due to lack of sleep.

We are seeking compensation for our prolonged exposure to the carbon monoxide. Studies are unclear as to the effects of prolonged exposure but they do site that children and pregnant women are at risk for greater damage.

I have asked for documents (copies of work orders, service records of water heater, etc.) relating to this issue as well as a mold issue that occurred last year. There is a history of neglect that I believe I can prove. We pay over $1000 a month in rent.

What is the best way to approach compensation and hold the apartment complex accountable?

Thank you for your time and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back