Need to transfer guardianship of my younger sister

Paula Melo

Jurisdiction
Florida
My younger sister (age 54) was declared an incapacitated person and my older sister is currently her plenary guardian. They both live on the east coast of Florida. I live in Bradenton, FL. The older sister is looking to transfer guardianship to either myself or my daughter (who lives in NYC). Would either transfer of guardianship be more complicated than the other. Are the costs lower because there already is a guardianship arrangement (that was recognized in St. Lucie County in February of 2014)?

Would either transfer of guardianship be more complicated than the other.

I don't really understand the question. Depending on what exactly you mean by "transfer guardianship," it could be said that there's no such thing. Whatever you mean by it, the only way for your sister to be replaced by someone else is for the court to enter an order to that effect. That being the case, the process is the same regardless of where the new guardian lives. However, I'm at a loss as to how someone who lives 1,100 miles away could effectively serve as plenary guardian.

Are the costs lower because there already is a guardianship arrangement (that was recognized in St. Lucie County in February of 2014)?

Lower than what?

Back