Need to know if I should get a lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpinva

My son was involved in an accident 2 years ago, (he was 21 years old then) and yes, we had him on our insurance policy. Without going into too much detail here, the "other" party involved has refused to settle for the amount our insurance company has offered which was the maximum amount of liability coverage and are now taking my son to court seeking a VERY large amount. I know he'll be represented by a lawyer our insurance company will retain for him but should my husband and I get another lawyer for us. If the "other" party is awarded this VERY large judgement, how can they collect since my son has NO assets, he doesn't even have a car now, he's working for just above minimum wage and trying to finish his college education. Can they try to get it from my husband and me? Do we need our own lawyer to protect our assets?

You need a lawyer.

Hire one no later than two years ago.

Thank you, I will hire my own lawyer. I'm just wondering why do we have to pay out such high insurance premiums if it's not going to really protect you from such litigations?

Q: I'm just wondering why do we have to pay out such high insurance premiums if it's not going to really protect you from such litigations?

A: I really wish I knew the answer to that one. Don't get me started on insurance companies! :dgrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back