Need to know if I have grounds for a civil lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcolter32

I took over management of a small business in Holland Mi. back in August of 2013. The owner originally agreed to pay us 50% of any money brought in. After he wasn't able to pay us for a month, we lost our home. He then offered us the backroom at the pool hall we run. We put a lot of money into repairs to make the place suitable for the public. We didn't know coming into this that we were going to have to spend our own money and not get paid. But we were already in too far to turn back at the same time. After a few months of doing events to bring in the money the owner was asking for at this point, I get charged with a felony for doing what the owner told me to do. Now he is claiming to the city that he didn't know we lived here and was trying to get us in trouble and fined. Then he hands us a 7 day notice to quit for non payment of rent and claims we owe him $1200! I don't have any money to move because I have put everything in here. Furthermore don't have another job being that turning this place around has taken up all of my time. I need to find some help and don't have any money. This man is harrassing me and my boyfriend on a daily basis.

I took over management of a small business in Holland Mi. back in August of 2013. The owner originally agreed to pay us 50% of any money brought in. After he wasn't able to pay us for a month, we lost our home. He then offered us the backroom at the pool hall we run. We put a lot of money into repairs to make the place suitable for the public. We didn't know coming into this that we were going to have to spend our own money and not get paid. But we were already in too far to turn back at the same time. After a few months of doing events to bring in the money the owner was asking for at this point, I get charged with a felony for doing what the owner told me to do. Now he is claiming to the city that he didn't know we lived here and was trying to get us in trouble and fined. Then he hands us a 7 day notice to quit for non payment of rent and claims we owe him $1200! I don't have any money to move because I have put everything in here. Furthermore don't have another job being that turning this place around has taken up all of my time. I need to find some help and don't have any money. This man is harrassing me and my boyfriend on a daily basis.

Anyone can sue anyone they desire to sue.
Can you recover or prevail is the better question one should consider.
In your case, I see nothing on which you can base a lawsuit to prevail.
You simply exercised poor judgment, or did things you knew you shouldn't do.
Many Nazis said they killed Jews because they were told to do so, and it was their job.
That didn't work in 1945, it didn't work in latter part of the 20th century by Pol Pot lackeys, and won't work now for you.

Sorry, you have no civil case.

Take heart, it looks as if you've caught a rather good felony case!

If anything, you might be able to sue for unpaid wages- depending upon what the payment agreement was and what you can prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back