Breaking a Lease Need to break new lease ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcutie

Hi. I recently moved into an new apartment and I've been staying here for less than two weeks and I already want out. The neighbor has been giving me issues with leaving my space open for parking so I spoke to my landlord and the issue is yet to get to be resolved. Ive been getting up at any hours they need to keep moving my car in and out the driveway. Also, the neighbor has been making accusations that I have been smoking in the home which we can not do as apart of the lease agreement. These accusations are incorrect as I am not a smoker but my landlord took her word and came to my apt without notice to "check on an a/c unit". Come to find out she was just coming in to see if there was a smoky odor or any evidence of me smoking but never checked a/c. The next time I see my neighbor, she yells at me and tells me I need to stop smoking and she's been taking a log of my movements including dates and times when she thinks I was smoking. I then spoke with my landlord again on both issues, she was shocked and assured me she'd have a chat with her and come to a resolution. Later that afternoon on my way out the door I noticed that at some point in time of the day after our conversation she had her husband come put up big signs on the door saying "no smoking" as if I didn't explain to her that day that I don't and the accusations are untrue. I feel like I'm being harrassed at this point and I don't feel comfortable with a neighbor who's keeping a "log" on me.

You are free to leave whenever you like. If you leave early you may be responsible for rent until the landlord gets a new tenant. Unless the landlord decides to sue you for that money you won't ever have to actually pay it. Leaving early could get you a bad reference for future apartments, but you have been there such a short time you can probably get away with not disclosing this one.
Talk with your landlord again and try to work it out. Meanwhile, ignore noisy neighbor.

I left a lease early in a similar situation. I wrote a detailed letter as to why I couldn't stay there. It was never a problem for me. But it just all depends on the landlord. Talk to them and hopefully they will let you out with no problem. If they have a waiting list and can rent the unit out right away then they haven't lost anything.

I had one of those whack jobs as a neighbor before. I went to the point of requesting her full name etc from management so I could file harassment charges against her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back