Need money for college, dad wont pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

egonex1

Hello all,

Situation is as follows, I had been attending Loyola University Chicago for about 2 and a half years and decided to take a small break to be with my mom who lives in Florida. Afterwards I would transfer to a new school in florida so that I could be closer to my family. When the time came for me to go back to school my father refused to pay the remaining balance that was left at Loyola thus rendering me unable to get my transcripts from all the coursework I had completed there. I would not be able to go back to school without those transcripts, even if I wanted to start all over again they still would not accept me.

Prior to me leaving for florida while I was still in chicago, my father went through a series of mental episodes when one time he almost killed himself with sleeping pills and alcohol. And another time he was picked up by the police for yelling profane things while weilding a sword in the middle of the night outside in front of his house waking the neighbors. After then he was diagnosed for being bi-polar and mentally unstable but recuperated.

I fear that his irrational decision to just cut me off like that has something to do with his mental condition. I have been trying to persuade him for almost 2 years now to help me financially go back to school, meanwhile I have been living with my mom in florida, working just to make ends meet, not having enough to pay for the remaining balance at loyola for my transcripts.

My mother says he has a trust fund in my name which was supposed to be released to me at age 21, yet ive seen no money. Also he is loaded with money, something like a couple of millions in a few bank accounts. He has also been retired for a number of years, hes like 54 now. I have never had any problems with my father before and now we arent on speaking terms. What could I do? In the end all I want is around $7000 which I know he has to pay for my transcripts, if i could get more that would be great to help take the stress off.

PS. Im sorry if this is too long to read, but i really feel the whole situation should be told for some good advice.

PSS. He lives in Wisconsin, I live in Florida, im assuming i would need to contact a lawyer from wisconsin?

Try to find out more about the trust fund. If he set it up and it was revocable, then you are out of luck. If someone else set it up for you and he was the trustee, you need to have a talk with him.

Are you perhaps under the impression that your dad is required to pay for your college?

If so, you're wrong.

Once you turned 18, he had no further legal responsibility for you.

If the trust fund does not come through, your options are to get a job or get a scholarship. The law is not going to force dad to pay for your college education no matter how much money he has.

Thanks for the replies, I'll def look into the trust fund a bit more to see whats going on there. For now I'm just gonna have to apply for a private loan to pay off the remaining balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back