Need Help Quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridger

unknown suspension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have formal hearing in 2 weeks, Need Help and answers!
In 1985, I received a ticket in LA, while I was a resident of IL. Within a month of receiving it, I paid it through the mail. I also got married and moved to another state, and received a license in that state. I have also moved appx. 13 times (not exaggerating). I moved back to IL in November of 2004, went to get my license, gave DL from the state I lived in and birth cert., took test and received DL. Now I received a letter stating my license was suspended for two reasons. First, I never paid the ticket in LA; Second, for giving fraudulant information on my application when I got my DL. I contacted the state of LA, and after several phone calls to different departments, because they couldnt find me in the system !!!!!! They finally found it, and showed I did not pay it. So being so old, and being my word against theirs I paid it again, so I am clear with that state, and got my license reinstated for that reason. But now IL is still suspending my license for the mis-information I stated on the application. If I honestly did not know about this suspension from 20 years ago, what are my choices? I am contesting this in a formal hearing. Do I need a lawyer to represent me? What type of information would I need to take to court to prove I did not know about the suspension. Any advice for this situation would be greatly appreciated.

This is becoming quite common as the states update their computers and report to the national database. You should not need an attorney for the hearing although it may be a good idea. Try and see if you can talk to someone and explain the situation and get it resolved before the hearing.

Take all of your paperwork showing how old it was and that you have paid the ticket.

Attorneys have me worried

I have sent an inquiry to a lawyer online, and he says I need a attorney. I went to one in person, and he says I need one. Reason being, the Secretary of State hearings are very involved, and no one ever wins if you are not represented by an attorney. Are they just saying that in order that I will retain them? or is it that hard to prove your case alone?

License Suspension

It just depends on your level of expertise and how confident you are in being able to present your case. Your situation is not unusual and I would think that they are familar with what is going on nationwide with these old tickets. Try talking to someone in the office where the hearing will take place. Your best source of information is always the court clerk or secretary. They can tell you about past rulings in similar cases and this will help you make a decision about an attorney.

The send email function does not seem to be working on this board. You can contact me directly at info@speedingticketcentral.com and I may be able to provide some more assistance after you have spoken with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back