Need Help on Speeding Ticket at Preble County OHIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelyuen

Hi Everyone,
I received a speeding ticket on highway. I was following the traffic in slow (right lane) and usually will pass when there is car in front of me. That day was at night and after I passed a car and back to right lane, I saw there is a police office hiding, and then I am sure at that time I was driving at 65mph which is the speed limit. Then I past the police office, and I keep driving at 65mph. Around a minute later I found out there was a police office following my car, and I kept driving at 65mph, after 1-2 mins the police office turn on all the lights and pull me over.
He told me I was driving 85mph, and I told him I was speed up to pass. And then he gave me a ticket to sign and I signed and ask him what is that, he told me I should call the number on the ticket then the people on the phone will tell me how much I have to pay...
The officer charged me Speeding, 85mph in 65mph zone. In the remarks, it written L#8 1200FT. CAL 2300-0700.
Seems the officer took my speed at 1200ft far from him, and I just wonder at night, without any lights on the road, only headlights from the car, is that possible for the officer to be sure the one was driving at 85mph is me? I called the number and those phone operator just tell me to pay, that's it. Should I go to court to argue with them? Do they really have physical evidence to prove that I was speeding?
Thank you very much.
Michael

Ohio speeding ticket

Ohio Speeding Ticket

It is illegal to exceed the speed limit even while passing. It is likely from you post that you did hit 85 when you pulled out to pass. The only evidence that is needed is the officer's testimony that you were speeding.

Normally when you show up for court they will offer you a reduction in return for a guilty plea and immediate payment of your fine in cash. It would be in your best interest to try to get it to an under 10mph violation so your insurance will not skyrocket.

Hi, thank you for your reply

Hi,
First of all, thank you for your reply.
So, in your opinion, it is better just accept the charge if they offer me a reduction? And it is no way to argue with them, correct? From you words, I feel that ohio's speeding ticket seems no way to argue, and all about is $$....
Since this is my first speeding ticket (never had any accident), I have licence from 20 to now 26 (I drove a lot).... and I believe I was driving in safe condition, those are the reasons why I don't feel good on receiving the ticket.
Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back