need help contesting improper lane change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honda650XLR

I live in Texas and I got pulled over for an improper lane change. I'm not even sure what I have done wrong exactly, I am planning on contesting the ticket but I'm not sure on how to sell it to the judge...
I was turning left on the left lane onto a bridge over the highway, when the car in front of me started to dangerously slow down. Rather than try to break and risking falling (I drive a motorcycle) I moved onto the middle lane, where there was no car. There was of course two cops on the other side of the bridge. The officer told me that he was giving me only a warming for not putting my blinker on, but a ticket for the improper lane change. I tried to explain that I was merely trying to avoid an accident but he wouldn't have any of it.
Fact: I quickly swerved onto a different lane
Fact: I didn't use my blinkers (didn't have the time)
Fact: there was no white line on that part of the bridge, which meant that I was allowed to change lanes)

I don't feel that I commited any violation and wish to contest the ticket, any advice/help you would have on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Also what would happen if I do contest the ticket and found guilty?

Thanks

Texas Traffic Ticket

You were following too close if you had to swerve into the other lane. However, if I was on the jury I would find you not guilty, but that is just me.

If you decide to contest the ticket call the clerk of court and enter a plea of not guilty and request a jury trial. Usually this can be done by mail and avoid wasting a day in traffic court. It will be your word against the officers and the judge will instruct the jury that according to the law you are guilty.

Also what would happen if I do contest the ticket and found guilty?

You will have to pay the fine plus court costs and the ticket will go on your MVR.

My recommendation would be to ask the clerk of court if the judge will approve an online traffic school. You will have to pay the fine and the school but the ticket will not go on your record and you will not end up sitting for hours/days in court. Here is a link for more information
ONLINE TRAFFIC SCHOOL

lwpat> thanks for your advice. I don't think I was following too close since it was just after a light and people don't leave usually keep "safe distances" from the car in front of them right after the light, at least not if you don't want the people behind you to start freaking out because they won't make the next light because of you.
In any case you're probably right as far as the law is concerned and I am seriously considering traffic school.

So just the fact of swerving onto the other lane constitutes an improper lane change? Nothing more involved?

I surfed the net trying to find a definition of an improper lane change but to no aval. Is there a glossary of traffic violations available anywhere?

Anyway, thanks again for your vote of confidence lwpat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back