Criminal Records, Expungement Need expungement, can't get hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4r3nl0w3

My husband needs his felony record expunged. The case was dismissed, but it's still showing up, and he hasn't been able to get hired for a job for over 2 years now. Obviously we can't afford the $1500 the local attorneys are requiring to take this on. Where do I go for forms and what kind of advice can I get on how to go about doing this ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

My husband needs his felony record expunged. The case was dismissed, but it's still showing up, and he hasn't been able to get hired for a job for over 2 years now. Obviously we can't afford the $1500 the local attorneys are requiring to take this on. Where do I go for forms and what kind of advice can I get on how to go about doing this ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

You just need to keep GOOGLING and YAHOOING and BINGING your prey.

Or, get the $1,500 and see if it helps.

You do know that you can discuss the basics of a case with a lawyer for free.

That might be worth your time.

You get about 15-20 minutes to ask LOTS of question.

You might get the answers you seek.

This 15-20 minutes won't cost you anything but your time!

You also need to know some convictions can't be expunged.

Thank you for your advice. I do know that some convictions can't be expunged, but he was never actually convicted. The case was dismissed because the prosecution's witness failed to show up.

Late to this discussion, but this has started to become a problem in the state of Oklahoma.

Many employers are using OSBI background checks, and those checks dredge up information that is sometimes decades old. I know many people who have had cases dismissed (i.e., never even went before a judge or were charged by the DA) yet are still being denied employment because their case shows up on "the books."

I know at least three people for whom this is a problem. One person was a woman who was denied a job because she was charged with petit larceny more than 30 years ago, and the case was dismissed because a friend was with her and shoplifted. She did nothing; didn't know the friend had stolen anything until they were stopped. A review of surveillance tapes proved she had no part in the shoplifting whatsoever, and the case was dismissed. Yet now she can't get a job because the OSBI check has dredged this up. She wants to erase the entry on the books completely, and is being told the same thing: You MUST hire a lawyer to take care of this for you. You cannot do it yourself. She did absolutely nothing and is still being punished. The arrest and dismissal show up, but employers are still prejudicing their hiring practices because of these entries.

The price she was quoted to have this removed is $750 to $1000.

How do you come up with that money if you can't even get a job? It becomes a circular problem.

This is not expungement of a crime. This is removal of a wrongful accusation against a person that had no merit.

Link here to OSBI entry: http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Criminal_History/Criminal_History_Record_Expungement/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back