Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Need Answer On Shoplifting-compromise

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbird

I was apprehended at Safeway for shoplifting an item that cost $15.99. Safeway sent me a letter demanding a restitution in the amount of $165.99. I called Safeway to see if I could make payments. They said that I could. At the same time, they would contact the Prosecuting Attorney (if I had no priores for shoplifting, which I don't) to offer a compromise in my case. I have a court date for February 4, 2005. What does all of this mean. Does it mean that I will escape punishment for the criminal fine and also won't have it on my record? I would really appreciate any advice from all of you who know what this compromise means? I feel very scared because this is my first offense and I wasn't thinking clearly when this happened. I am 63 years old with very limited income with social security and a lot of health problems. What I did was born out of necessity and not greed. I shoplifted over the counter medication and I just didn't have the money to pay for it at the time. My intention was to go back to Safeway when I got my next Social Security check, buy the same item and then put it back on the shelf and then everything would even out. My conscious would be clear and Safeway would be paid back. As it turned out, you know the rest of the story. Because of this event, now my health problems have gotten worse. If there is anyone out there that can give me some light at the end of this very dark and long tunnel, I would so appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back