Need advice on special living situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

godbob

The state or country I am talking about is: California

Hi. I would really appreciate some guidance on this one. This is a long one so please bare with me. Thanks in advance.

My dad was kind enough to let three distant relatives live in our basement (in-law) unit which has two rooms, kitchen, and bathroom for very little rent. Initially, he let them stay for free temporary to get them adjusted. Because they liked the place and wanted to stay, my dad let them stay and started to collect VERY inexpensive rent every month. They have been living with us for around 4 years now.

Recently, we were fortunate enough to get immigration for his brother (my uncle) and his family. He then kindly asked the three living there now to move so that he can let his brother and his family live in the basement unit.

Now, the three are upset and threaten my dad with tenant right articles stating that he has to pay them a certain amount in order for them to leave.

They never signed a lease or any type of rental agreement so my question is... Do they have tentant rights if there is no lease or agreement?

What legal actions are there on our part to request that the three leave?

Thank you.

No good deed gets unpunished. Getting rid of tenants is a tricky business with a lot of pitfalls, so often it is smart to let an attorney handle this. But if you want to get an overview of the issues have a look here:

Your rental agreement probably is a month to month agreement, based on an oral agreement, I assume. Read more about this here: http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/before-rent.htm#rentalagreementsandleases

The termination process is described here: http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/terminations.htm

Just follow the links on that page then to the eviction process/lawsuit. Latest at this stage I really recommend getting an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back