Need advice for my Disabled Daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricky1955

My 29 year old daughter has been fighting a rare brain/spinal cancer for over 5 years with experimental chemotherapy and just recently, full brain and spinal radiation. Prior to being diagnosed and starting her treatment, she was very frugal and responsible with her and her husband's finances.

About 4 years ago, she started undergoing a drastic personality change, along with the inability to empty her bladder, paralysis of her left leg, severe headaches, blurred vision, dementia, memory loss, depression and sleep disorders. During this time her spending habits changed dramatically and she began opening charge accounts everywhere, purchasing items off of Ebay and literally spending every cent that she had on her person. The accounts were set-up in her name alone, without the knowledge or consent of her husband.

She became legally "disabled" approximately 2 years ago and receives a disability check in the amount of $1,050.00 each month.

Her husband is a Staff Sargent in the Marine Corps and is currently stationed in North Carolina. He has served one tour in Afghanistan and is due to return in November. His insurance has covered the expenses of my daughter's illness (over $3 million) but he has had to pay for all of their travel expenses and lodging relating to her treatments "out-of-pocket" for the past 3 years as they were traveling to M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston for treatments. His insurance company has been very slow in reimbursing them for these expenses, so he has a very large credit card debt relating to these expenses.

My daughter has been staying with us for a month now, while her husband is engaged in training exercises and will be with us for another month. Creditors started calling our home number, so we started questioning our daughter about her financial situation. It appears (at least based on what she can remember) that she has a credit card debt of somewhere around $10,000.00 on a half-dozen accounts. Most of these accounts are over-due and amassing large penalties, interest and fees and the total monthly "minimum" payments for all of these accounts exceeds her monthly disability check.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce her debt or possibly have the companies "right-it-off" based on her medical condition and lack of financial resources?

Her oncologist says that she has around 2 to 3 months to live. What happens to her debt when she passes-on?

First of all, please accept my sincerest thanks to your son-in-law for his service to our nation.

My prayers go out to you for your daughter's suffering and illness.

I suggest you just make her last days comfortable and cheerful.
Let her enjoy whatever time God grants her in these troubling times.
Who knows, she may be here longer than the physicians indicate.
But, forgive her, and just love her.

As for her debts, they will end upon her death.
She made those debts in her name, not his.
Don't worry about them, don't badger her over them, let her enjoy her life.
She knows, all too well, what she has done.
The debts will die with her.
Unscrupulous people will try and scare you or her husband into paying HER debts.
Do not listen to them.
No one owes those debts, but her.

Now, here's the good news.
Texas has some very friendly laws for debtors.
Her disability income can't be touched by those collectors.
If I were you, I'd change all my phone numbers, immediately.
That'll stop the calls.
There are other ways, but they rarely work.
Change the number, and do NOT give it to anyone.
Use the old number, if a number is required.
That way, she can have some peace.
She doesn't have to respond to debt collection letters.
Don't even open them, throw them away.
All that should matter, is letting her live in peace.

Bottom line, she owes the debts.
She's dying.
She need not worry over what she can't fix.
When she passes, the debts are dead.
Don't be bullied into paying them.
Losing your daughter is a great price.
Don't allow her husband to be bullied either.
May God comfort and bless your family. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back