NC Driver in VA. 78 in 65mph. Worth court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamburglar

The wife and I went to visit friends up north over Labor Day weekend. She was pulled for 78 in a 65. in Mecklenberg County. The fine (if I understand the voice recording correctly) is $126. I don't think this is worth a 2+hour drive back to Va. for court on October 16 (and a corresponding 2+hour drive home).

I am concerned; however, about the effect on our insurance. An increase in our insurance would probably warrant the drive back to Va., assuming, of course, that going to court would be an effective remedy.

This is her first ticket ever. I have a clean record too. We have filed no claims on our insurance either, if that matters.

We obviously don't want to go to court for nothing, but we clearly don't want to pay increased premiums for her first offense in almost 15 years of driving. What should we do? What can we expect?

Thanks so much for any help.

Last edited:
I am not an attorney, but my advice is to contact an attorney in the city/county in VA
where you got the ticket. It is worth that money to get this reduced (if possible) so your
driving record is not nailed with points. The increase in insurance for the points over the next few years will be worth the attorney. You can get a certified copy of your driver
record from the NCDMV-google it. Most likely you will not have to appear.

NC driver.

Thank you for the info. Having never hired an attorney before, how do we go about finding one? Also, what should we expect an attorney to cost us?

Thanks again

You could try google for attorneys, for the city of the jurisdiction...should be on your ticket.
or on the court date papers. Then start calling. Ask if the firm handles traffic tickets.
If they do not then maybe they could suggest who to call. On the cost I would expect
$ 200-400. Again , money well spent. By the way, that is the process I used for my
out of state ticket. So far so good. My first time involved with the legal system too.
Guch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back