1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Naturalization process WAY outside processing times! Naturalization, Citizenship

Discussion in 'Green Card, Residency, Naturalization' started by EHcar, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHcar

    EHcar Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I filed for naturalization in June 2007, they "received" my papers in July.... A little less than 2 years later, I'm still a resident alien!

    I had originally filed in NC, then moved to NJ and notified USCIS, so they "moved" my file. At the same time, my parents did the same thing. Shortly after we moved to NJ we were all notified that we were to take the test and final interview at the Charlotte, NC center. Of course since we had asked for our files to be moved to NJ, we had no idea what to do! When we called to inquire about our files no one gave us a straight answer, and one of the officers (wisely) advised that we actually attend the NC interview and test. Both of my parents interviewed, tested, and swore the oath in NC on the scheduled date-- but I was informed that my file had already been sent to NJ! This was back in September of 2008.

    I have since then inquired about my file numerous times, receiving many varied responses. The consensus was that I'm "being re-scheduled," but I have recently received a letter from USCIS informing me that it has been so long since I applied, that I will need to repeat the entire process.

    The most surprising thing (yes, more surprising than my parents' incident) is that my sister applied in December 2008 and has already done fingerprinting in Jan 2009. So it makes me think that they should have enough time slots to accommodate me, and I have no idea why they haven't!

    I contacted a lawyer and he advised me to make an Info Path appointment to talk to an officer about my status -- I tried that and they refused to give me any useful information. He also advised me to contact one of my state senators, which I've done also.

    At this point should I just wait, hire a lawyer, or what?

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.