Naturalization, Citizenship Name Issue

Sara217

Jurisdiction
California
I just become a US citizen and have changed my name to a new name (dropped part of my last name).
During my citizenship interview, I noticed my previous last name on my Birth Certificate was slightly spelled different than the one I used in my green card and all my other documents such as my original country passport, marriage certificate (from my original country), social security card, my university degrees here, my taxes, and every other documents here in US (Imagine It was like this...hhhhhyusel and the other one is hhhhh usel). This difference in name in my birth certificate which is just one letter extra in my last name and one space between my long last name happened during original translation in my country. Basically, both last name sound the same but since we use different alphabet it could be spelled differently in English alphabet. My first name is the same. I told the officer that this name (my birth certificate spelling name) is not what I have used in US. I referred to my original country passport and green card and social security card as evidence. He mentioned that birth certificate override other documents.
Now that I am naturalized the court order that I have received with my naturalization certificate for the name change shows my birth certificate name as the name that supposed to be changed. I want to go to social security office to change my name on my social security and then driver license. Do you think that would be a problem since my last name on the court order is different than the one on my social security card?

If the names are different then technically it is what it is. A lawsuit can be dismissed for having the wrong name on the document - although the complaint that starts a lawsuit can be amended to use the proper and correct name. As you've noticed that the order is different than the name on the other official document (your birth certificate and social security card and driver's license), you'll probably want to remedy this matter. Yes, it's inconvenient but you never know what can happen. Good luck with your new and easier to spell name. :)

Back