Naturalization, Citizenship name change due to citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandgr2005

Hello,
I am in the military and recently became a US citizen. On the citizenship application one of the questions that was wasked "if we would like to legally change our name". I dropped one of my two last names, and have been known as such. I would like to know if the naturalization certificate or a letter from INS would serve as proof of this name change, so that I can be known by one last name in every record possible. I was told by Army lawyers that I may need to seek a lawyer in Mexico so that he can file the proper paperwork and get the ball rolling. Is there any other way possible? Your help is appreciated.

Hello,
I am in the military and recently became a US citizen. On the citizenship application one of the questions that was wasked "if we would like to legally change our name". I dropped one of my two last names, and have been known as such. I would like to know if the naturalization certificate or a letter from INS would serve as proof of this name change, so that I can be known by one last name in every record possible. I was told by Army lawyers that I may need to seek a lawyer in Mexico so that he can file the proper paperwork and get the ball rolling. Is there any other way possible? Your help is appreciated.

Your Army ID, and the way you wrote your name should suffice.
You shouldn't have to do anything further.
You can't correct anything until you get your documentation back, anyway.
So, wait until your citizenship documents return to you.
More than likely, they'll read the way you wnat them to read.
If not, changing your name through court process is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back