My utilities and account info on a postcard. Privacy?

Beuan S

Jurisdiction
California
I am renting an apartment in South California. The complex got new owner and they are now sending utilities information on a postcard. It includes my account information and all utilities for the month. Moreover, the unit information is not part of the address but it is specified on some other location on the card and postman needs to read the card to figure it out in which mailbox the postcard belongs. I consider my account information with the complex and the amounts of utilities to be my private information. Is the complex allowed to inform the residents of their dues in a open postcard where anyone can read this information? Is there a privacy information law that could restrict this?

Thank you for any help or advice!

I don't believe there are laws that cover this. The information you describe is not the typical sort of protected confidential information.
Have you discussed this with the new owner?

I discussed the issue with the management. They promised to talk with the owner and get back to me. They haven't contact me back.

There are many utilities that use postcards; I'm willing to bet that the postal worker sees so many of the silly things that he's certainly not going to pay any attention to one card out of many.

Back