Assault & Battery My stomache is in knots ....waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kholdeman

I appreciate the advice given to me on this site concerning the sexual assault case being built against my 17 yr old son. I wonder if anyone knows how long it takes before a charge is made. I am not sleeping, can barely concentrate at work and terrified every time I hear a car slow down by my driveway. My husband and son are feeling just as anxious waiting for someone to arrest our son. After careful review of our options, we have determined not to have our son give any statement to the police detective and will request a public defender if he is charged. But the waiting seems interminable. Will any one tell us if they decide not to press charges? I don't want to ask the DA as this might be inappropriate for an accused to want to know. But, how long can a case be investigated before any action is taken? The accuser had a rape kit done the night she reported the alleged "assault". If there was any damage that even resembled an assault wouldn't the police have come back then and arrested my son? I am truly not asking for trouble, but, again I am very worried for my son. I am also angry that this girl can merely accuse and it is up to my son to prove his innocence.
Please also understand I am a survivor of years of sexual molestation and of an aggravated sexual assault in my teens. I understand the devastation that sexual crimes can cause. I know how the effects last for a lifetime-that is why I have taught my girls the best I could how to run,yell, kick, hit and any other method needed to protect themselves against any sexual contact they did not ask for. I have stressed to my son the importance of the word "no" and he is known as a defender of girls-especially his sister. So you can imagine how terrible this charge is.
If you have any clue how long an investigation like this can take please tell me.
My molester was a member of my family and was never charged. The man who assaulted me as a teenager was arrested immediately as I was at the hospital and later plead guilty to aggravated sexual assault, given 10 years, and got out in 2. My sons case seems to be taking a long time to come to any conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back