My slumlord....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp030966

What started out as an attempt to get my landlord to fix the many problems that exist in this disgusting rat trap that started out as a "beautiful newly gut renovated semi basement" has become a much bigger problem. I am a single mom with a 13 year old daughter and a full time job, and the severe conditions of mold and mildew are out of control making the apartment unliveable. There are leaks everywhere and there is not enough bleach or lysol in the world to control it. I called NYC HPD with my list of complaints and they sent inspectors who informed me that they could not inspect my list of complaints due to the fact that another emergency condition exists. That the apartment is an illegal conversion/Illegal occupancy. PLEASE HELP!!! I cannot afford a lawyer and just want my security deposit back to find a new place. The mold and mildew is taking over and I fear myslef and my daughter will be sick soon.

Try proposing to the landlord, that if he will break your lease, allow you to move out, and refund your security deposit, that you will move out and not call the authorities and he will never hear from you again--otherwise you plan to move out, call the building permit/inspection department in your town and report the illegal apartment, and file a claim against him in your local small claims court for the deposit.
NOTE: I am not a lawyer, but I think if your landlord knows that the apartment is in fact not legal, he will want to stay away from any local authorities as much as possible and your 1st option will be in his best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back