My roomates owe rent money but we didnt' sign rental agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugkh

I lived in my apartment for years. Signed yearly rental agreement every year. But didn't sign it in 2011. It expired in May'11. We still stayed in the apartment, but I'm now leaving because other roomates didn't pay rent for 5 months through out the past 3 years. Both of us signed the old lease that expired in May'11. Does the landlord still have a case to sue us? Can she just sew the other roomate since I made all of my payments? If she can sue, does it effect my credit rating?

Thanks in advance

I lived in my apartment for years. Signed yearly rental agreement every year. But didn't sign it in 2011. It expired in May'11. We still stayed in the apartment, but I'm now leaving because other roomates didn't pay rent for 5 months through out the past 3 years. Both of us signed the old lease that expired in May'11. Does the landlord still have a case to sue us? Can she just sew the other roomate since I made all of my payments? If she can sue, does it effect my credit rating?

Thanks in advance

I would just be GUESSING or MIND READING if I could tell you which one of you your landlord might sue.

However, logic tells me that he will sue you, IF he sues anyone.

Why?

Well, you're the only one that has signed a lease with him.

From a legal perspective, you are the ONLY one that owes him.

Now, the other deadbeats might owe you.

If anyone can sue them, it could be you!

But, if they never paid their rent to you, what makes you think they'd pay even if you sued them.

Sure, if the landlord sues you, and you lose (which you will); you're doggone right your credit will be impacted.

Also, at the end of the lease the agreement does not simply expire. By statute the the lease becomes month to month under the same terms whether a new one is signed or not.
Yes, your landlord may sue you. Yes, a civil judgment absolutely effects your credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back