Security Deposit My money

Status
Not open for further replies.

1haimehen

on 08/02/2012 I moved into an apartment complex, over the duration of me living there the apartment manager was made aware that myself and kids were living there and not my sister who's name was on the lease. Before renewal of the lease the apartment manager the owner of the complex my sister and myself had a sit down meeting in reference to the living situation and that they was aware that it was myself and my family and not my sister. then the lease was renewed and signed still in my sister's name so upon the life of the lease I moved and after 15 days I was expecting my deposit and the assistant office manager stated that they have up to 30 days to refund the deposit which is true provided there is a written notification. here it is the 39th day and still no deposit now my sister call them and now they're stating that once the pest control people finish treating the apartment for the roaches then they will know how much is to be refunded .I'm feeling that first it clearly states in your lease that the complex is responsible for pest control not the tenant and secondly the deposit is for damages to the apartment I though not for pest control that when I was living there wasn't under control no matter how much I complain and I wanted to know if I have a case for the return of my deposit attorney fees should I have to retain an attorney and punitive damages. Also there was never any written notification on the intent to keep the deposit it was always verbal when my sister call the complex to ask about the deposit

Why not visit a local attorney and ask?

There is no way we know what could happen in your case.

The deposit may not be returned to you, as you indicate your name was never formally on the lease.

If it isn't written down and signed, it sometimes never happened.

We are not an official government website.

We are simply a few strangers on the 'net that try to offer answers to simple questions.

on 08/02/2012 I moved into an apartment complex, over the duration of me living there the apartment manager was made aware that myself and kids were living there and not my sister who's name was on the lease. Before renewal of the lease the apartment manager the owner of the complex my sister and myself had a sit down meeting in reference to the living situation and that they was aware that it was myself and my family and not my sister. then the lease was renewed and signed still in my sister's name so upon the life of the lease I moved and after 15 days I was expecting my deposit and the assistant office manager stated that they have up to 30 days to refund the deposit which is true provided there is a written notification. here it is the 39th day and still no deposit now my sister call them and now they're stating that once the pest control people finish treating the apartment for the roaches then they will know how much is to be refunded .I'm feeling that first it clearly states in your lease that the complex is responsible for pest control not the tenant and secondly the deposit is for damages to the apartment I though not for pest control that when I was living there wasn't under control no matter how much I complain and I wanted to know if I have a case for the return of my deposit attorney fees should I have to retain an attorney and punitive damages. Also there was never any written notification on the intent to keep the deposit it was always verbal when my sister call the complex to ask about the deposit

You have a couple of problems here.

1. You don't have "standing" to sue because you're not on the lease
2. It's not actually clear when you left versus when the lease ended - could you clarify, please? This is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back