My lessor(roommate) disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkxwrdbboixkx

Hey all, I am seeking some good legal advices and inputs in this stressful time for me. I am a senior college student about to graduate in June. I subleased one of the rooms on 2 bedroom apartment around my campus 2 years ago from my roommate(who is the lessor). I moved in here in 09/1/2006. We had a verbal agreement that I will be renting a room for a whole school year (9/06 - 8/30/07). He said it's not necessary for me to sign my name on the lease contract with the apartment management, so I have never seen the apartment contract and did not bother with it. He, however, put my name on the cohabitant list. so 1 year passed. We didn't really talk about if I am going to stay for one more year when my lease ended on 08/2007, but I continued to make payments so it was assumed I will be here one more year. Even though I am graduating in June this year, I was planning to pay till the end of 08/08 so it would be easier for him to find a new person to lease to since the new school year is going to begin.

The problem began about 2 months ago when my roommate stole his company van and never returned it. People have been banging on our door and my roommate avoided them. about 1 month ago he told me he was going to San Franciso for 2 weeks. He left and did not come back ever since. I always give him my share of rent + utility + internet bill(Which are all under his name) on the 1st day of the month. Since he wasn't here I couldn't give him the money and it turned out that he did not prepay for this month's rent. Today is the 9th and I just got a 3 day notice to rent or quit yesterday from the apartment management.

I talked to the apartment manager and he said I could pay for my share directly to him and wait till my roommate comes back within this month so he can pay the rest. I have this feeling he won't be returning (since he lied to his friends that he was going to New Zealand, Kenya, Texas, etc...). The manager told me I'd have to pay his share if he doesn't return. I have not signed any contract with the apartment so I dont think it is reasonable at all. The apartment company doesn't have my driver's license, credit info, social security number nor my contact number. All they have is my name that's on the cohabitant list. I am thinking maybe I should move out but I am scared that I will be evicted along my roommate. Can anyone please help me? Your inputs and advices will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the extremley long post.

p.s. my apartment is in La Jolla, California

Last edited:
It is very reasonable. Rent needs to be paid. If your roomate is not present and you rin dwelling then you must pay full rent. You can recoup these monies by filing a small claims suit against former roomate. bottom line pay full rent or face eviction and owe rent for duration of lease or until dwelling is rerented.This site also has important info you can use

Thanks alot for the reply. I still don't understand why I would have to pay full amount though. I did NOT sign the lease so that means I have no right if I were to try to lease out his room to someone else nor a right to break the lease and pay penalty because it wasn't MY lease with the LL. The fact that I have to take full responsibility while having no rights to property does not really make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back