My lawyer has not helped me since he's been on my case

brokenwings

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I was wondering what to do. I gave my lawyer a retainer fee but he has not done anything to show for. He never showed up for myarraignment he's name was not mentioned during my arraignment yet he was given money. I felt like there was some work he could have done before arraignment but nothing. I am worried if I ask for my money he would turn ugly and he might hurt me in some legal ways because he has my arraignment files with him as well as confidential information. I am confused and running out of time.

If you want a lawyer to take a case for you, you pay him or her in FULL.

How much have you paid?

How much do you we?

If you still owe her, she's going to continue to do nothing until paid in full.

What you may have paid, could be his anyway, as its probably considered to be a deposit, not a retainer.

If the lawyer has been paid in full, you ave a receipt to prove it, you can file a complaint with the state bar.

If its proven true, you'll get your loot back after the matter has be adjudicated by the state bar association in a few months.

I have paid her a 1000 but we agreed on a payment plan of every two weeks now she is saying that she needs a good chunk of money because we are getting close to a trial phase.

I have paid her a 1000 but we agreed on a payment plan of every two weeks now she is saying that she needs a good chunk of money because we are getting close to a trial phase.

There's your answer.

I never took partial payments.

I wanted all of my fee up front, in cash, certified check, or cashier's check.

I also wouldn't begin representing you until the funds had cleared by bank account.

I suggest you get the missing loot, or you won't have a lawyer.

However, you are free to ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

To me,it sounds like,that sometime before the Arraignment,at least two weeks prior,if not longer,you didn't pay her the agreed upon amount,so that's why she didn't show up for your Arraignment.
If this is the case,you either need to pay up,if that's still an option,or if indigent,ask the court to appoint you an Attorney.Retainer Agreements,are contracts,and as with any type of contract,both parties have to fulfill their end of the agreement.

A grand is not much of a retainer for a criminal case. If your case is going to trial it's going to require a lot of money. You need to sit down with your attorney and discuss finances - you may end up having to get another attorney.

I gave my lawyer a retainer fee but he has not done anything to show for. He never showed up for myarraignment he's name was not mentioned during my arraignment yet he was given money. I felt like there was some work he could have done before arraignment but nothing.

And when you called your lawyer to discuss your concerns, what response did you get?

I am worried if I ask for my money he would turn ugly and he might hurt me in some legal ways because he has my arraignment files with him as well as confidential information.

That's pretty far-fetched.

Back