My fiance and his public defender

Angeedee37

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
My fiance has been indicted on 6 criminal charges. His public defender has came to speak with him twice and returned phone calls twice in the six months he has been incarcerated. So my fiance wrote the Supreme Court Disciplinary Counsel for attorneys expressing his concerns about the public defenders lack of concern for his case. Now the public defender is taking him self off the case and told my fiance he has to represent himself and that he was going to recommend that my fiance be kicked out of the public defender program. His charges are felony's, isn't he still entitled to representation because he is indigent?

My fiance has been indicted on 6 criminal charges. His public defender has came to speak with him twice and returned phone calls twice in the six months he has been incarcerated. So my fiance wrote the Supreme Court Disciplinary Counsel for attorneys expressing his concerns about the public defenders lack of concern for his case. Now the public defender is taking him self off the case and told my fiance he has to represent himself and that he was going to recommend that my fiance be kicked out of the public defender program. His charges are felony's, isn't he still entitled to representation because he is indigent?

There are consequences to lying.
I'm not saying your man lied, but I think that's what his PD believes.
Even if he had hired a lawyer, your man wouldn't have seen him any more frequently.

You need to tell your man to chill.
The world isn't going to stop because he is alleged to have broken the law.
It just doesn't work that way.

He'll get substitute counsel, because the law requires him to be represented if he so chooses.
When he gets new counsel, tell him to comport himself properly.
Facing SIX felonies, he's looking at prison time, even if this was his first rodeo.

Therefore he serves himself best by not causing a ruckus.

My fiance has been indicted on 6 criminal charges. His public defender has came to speak with him twice and returned phone calls twice in the six months he has been incarcerated.

What did he expect? Handholding every day? Doesn't work that way. Not even with private attorneys.

My advice to you: Dump the guy. You'll only have nothing but grief devoting your life to a criminal.

Back