My ex and I have both names on our car title and one on the financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabears

My girlfriend and I purchased an SUV for $10,995 earlier this year. I had $7500 to put down in cash and my girlfriend's mom had a $2000 vehicle to trade in but the only way we would be able to trade in her mom's old car is if my girlfriend's name was on the title. I allowed it and we put my girlfriends name on the title. We purchased a warranty and the remainder was financed. My name is the only name on the financing. We broke up and I am telling my girlfriend that I will buy out her $2000 if she transfers the title solely to me. She won't and says she is going for half the value of the car. To add she won't let me drive the vehicle. I have made every monthly payment. Do I have any leverage in this? If it counts for anything the $7500 cash I paid with was an inheritance after my father passed away.

You can go to court for an order of partition. Otherwise, you are both equal owners and have rights to use the vehicle.

I don't have a set of keys for the car. She gets physical (goes in my pockets forcefully etc), hides the keys, comes up with excuses ("I have to go to xyz"), she uses our son as a pawn as well.

I don't have a set of keys for the car. She gets physical (goes in my pockets forcefully etc), hides the keys, comes up with excuses ("I have to go to xyz"), she uses our son as a pawn as well.

All you need is the VIN number, make, model, and year and you can have a set of keys made for the car.
Then you can drive the vehicle away with your stuff inside as you move to your new home.

If you are both on the title, you have equal rights to use of the vehicle. As suggested, why not go get a set of keys made for yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back