Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders My cousin is 17 and had gotten pregnant by an older man

Status
Not open for further replies.

nnaomi

My cousin is 17 and had gotten pregnant by an older man. He at the time thought that she was of age. She did not tell him that she was 17 until she was 6 months pregnant. She turns 18 one month before the baby is born. Since the baby is going to be born after she turns 18, can he still get in trouble since the child was conceived when she was 17? We would rather him not get into trouble because he was unaware of her real age until she was already 6 months along. Any advice? Is it even a big deal as long as she's 18 when the baby's born?

1st it not when child is born but when unlawful act occured. The child proves it was prior to 18. Next depending on your states laws he could be in serious trouble. By serious I mean prison and lifetime registration as sex offender. Ignorance of her age is not going to wash as a defense.

I have to follow up on these reports from time to time. When the baby is born hospital staff will possibly make a report to social services due to mom's age. Police have to due a follow-up for possible criminal charges, and child services will follow-up as well.
More often than not these young parents will start claiming public assistance to care for the child... and because of that our local DA will file the rape or unlawful sexual intercourse charges every time.
As said above, what matters is her age at the time of the act, not when the baby is born. If the man is more than three years older than her then he has likely committed a felony and will face serious consequences. His excuse of "oops, I didn't know" won't work. It is his responsibility to find out first. If she lied, then it is still his fault.

It looks like the age of consent in Washington is 16 anyway. If that is the case he is fine.

He is not necessarily in the clear. The nature of the relationship and the difference in age still factor in to it.
Looking at the numbers given, it is probably fair to say that they were having sex when she was still 16... no telling what a little investigating will turn up.
I would still expect a mandated reporter to say something at some point that spurs an investigation. Maybe Washington doesn't have the same framework for mandated reporters though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back