My child's mother puts my name and social security number on medical bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

brwneyes

My son lives with his mother in another state (let's say 400 miles away). She is employed and has health insurance. My son is included on her health insurance. I am paying court ordered monthly child support. There is no court order to pay medical bills or to provide health insurance. Anyhow, I received a call the other day from a medical facility saying that I owe medical bills for my son. I explained to the facility that I did not incur the charges. They said it is my son and I am responsible. I informed them that I am not paying they have no proof that I authorized the charges. I did not authorize anyone to use my name or social security number. I requested proof that they treated my son. They said they cannot provide me with that information. I pulled my credit report the and I see two collections for medical bills for my son.

Can medical facilities do this? Shouldn't they have some kind of proof or record that you incur these charges and are legally liable for them? They cannot even proof to me that they treated my son? Does the law allow one parent to incur expenses using another parent's information because the expense is on behalf of their children? If that is the case, she can open a credit card in my name and say she is buying my son school clothes or books and therefore, i should be held responsible. I am disputing the transaction with the credit agency but what gives the medical facility the right to bill me for the charges. I am not married to the women, was never married to the woman. When my son is with me, I pay for all medical expenses.

I suggest you retain a lawyer and take this crook back to court.

If you aren't responsible for medical expenses, I suspect this crook has not maintained health insurance for the boy.

In fact, she might not even be employed.

She should not be using you to guarantee payment.

Take this crook to court, let the judge teach her a lesson and clear this up.

Yeah, yeah, lawyers cost money.

It ain't your fault.

True.

But, you're not going to stop this crooked beast any other legal way.

You cannot be held liable for bills incurred by her signing a financial responsibility form. It was the doctors responsibility to have her sign the agreement to pay.

The flip-side being this:

If Mom is no longer covered, she will likely be able to have Dad court-ordered to either insure the child or pay additional child support to cover medical expenses even when the child is in her care.

The flip-side being this:

If Mom is no longer covered, she will likely be able to have Dad court-ordered to either insure the child or pay additional child support to cover medical expenses even when the child is in her care.

Yes, she might be able to accomplish that change.

She won't, however, be able to do this retroactively.

And, she can't stick him with these charges, that are currently her court ordered responsibility.

What she did violated their existing court order.

These charges are hers, not his!

Unfortunately she may be able to get that made retroactive including the recent bills. It's not fair, but I've seen it happen.

(ahem)

Unfortunately she may be able to get that made retroactive including the recent bills. It's not fair, but I've seen it happen.

(ahem)

And, I've actually defended these actions and sent the beggar packing, empty-handed. Thank you very much!

It is very unlikely you were contacted by a the doctor's office, but rather the collection agency.
Dispute the collections accounts that show on your credit report with the major credit agencies. You might have some success having them removed from your credit report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back