My car engine broke after a major service at Authorize Service Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

macjohn

I bought a used car from a Authorize Dealer in Oct-2009. I also bought extended warranty to be safe.

After a year of driving this vehicle, I took this car to Authorize Service Center for scheduled maintenance and to investigate some noise in front passenger side.
After diagnosis they told me that there is some problem with power steering shaft and engine belt and I need to replace it and this will be covered under my warranty with $100 deductibles. I went ahead and did this plus there were some other fixes suggested, I did those as well. The overall cost was around $575 on me and warranty covered around $700.

Immediately after 1 week of this service I had a major engine break down due to leakage in radiator coolant. Due to this my radiator burst and car was overheated. My car stopped in middle of the road. I towed car to Authorize Service center and they agreed to fix this radiator and leaking issue without charging me anything.

But suddenly after 2 weeks of this again there was smoke coming out of the engine so, i took the car again to service center and they said that the new radiator hose (which was changed last time) burst and they will replace the same with additional cost of $70. I agreed and told them to inspect the car properly this time for any engine fault. While delivering the vehicle they confirmed that they have done a regress pressure testing for almost 24 hours and car engine is all rock solid.

Now after 4-5 weeks of this fix: again I had the same engine failure problem of coolant leakage and car radiator burst with coolant spilled everywhere on engine. This happened in middle of the busy traffic road so, I have to drive around 1 mile to reach to a safe place. When I towed the car to Authorize Service center, they changed my radiator under part manufacture's warranty but still my engine did not start so, they teared down my engine to diagnose the problem. They noticed the problem with engine gasket and some other major damages to engine due to overheat. They called warranty people but warranty supervisor checked the engine and said they will not cover this engine failure since cause of failure is thermostat, which is not covered in warranty and as per their supervision car was drove more than permissible limit after overheat. Now Authorize service center is asking me to either pay around $7K to put reused engine or pay around $10K to put a new engine. I clearly told that this all started after the faulty part replacement at your place and its your responsibility to return my car in running condition but they don't agree.

can I file a lawsuit against service center for not diagnosing the engine problem when the I had similar radiator burst problem in first place? and is their any other way to handle this situation?

Last edited:
Yes, you can file a lawsuit. You may want to consult with an attorney first who can review the language of the warranty and the circumstances of this matter.
In short, it sounds like the service center repeatedly made small and inexpensive repairs that did not address the underlying problem which caused the engine to sustain more damage over the long term. Now that you have serious damage they don't want to fix what they should have fixed the first time.
Just from reading your post is sounds as if all they were replacing was hoses while your radiator may have had blockage the whole time, or your thermostat was not working correctly. After the engine ran too hot long enough the head was either warped or cracked.
If you feel like you can show they did not properly address the problem the previous times you brought it in, and that your warranty covers the situation, then yes, go for the lawsuit if they won't do the repair.

yes you can.but is this repair shop or dealership because it does if its national repair facility you can call the corperate office sometimes that works the they dont want to tell corperate that they screwed up ..write your congressmen sometimes they can help just start making trouble for them to where they just want you to go away..hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back