Multiple Hearings in the same Courtroom?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rage

Hello I have a legal question that I was hoping someone could help me with. I tried researching it a bit before coming here but I didn't find a suitable answer.

A while back I got a citation and still need to take care of it. However, there seems to be a real problem in the way my local court takes care of its cases. They cram anywhere from 20-40 law offenders in the same courtroom and take care of all of those cases at the same time. Do they really expect you to effectively present your case in this manner? I don't know if this is the way it's done in every city or if it's just this one, but I think it needs to be changed. If they can't handle all their cases in an individual manner then they are just giving out too many tickets. The only people that should be allowed in MY court hearing are the people that are there for MY case. The other people are distractions and I will not present my case in this manner. It irritates me that our law enforcement is giving out so many petty citations that they can't even effectively handle them..and that's the reason they do 40 cases at the same time in the first place..because they are all negligible offenses. Most of these people are just minor violators that perhaps shouldn't have recieved a citation in the first place (as in my case but thats another story). To be honest, the reason all of this bothers me so much is because I have social anxiety and presenting my case in front of all these people severely hampers my effectiveness. So my question is..do I have the right to request for the judge to take care of my case in an individual manner? If any of you who are knowledgable in this area could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Good day to all of you.

-Rage- said:
A while back I got a citation and still need to take care of it. However, there seems to be a real problem in the way my local court takes care of its cases.
You don't mention what state you are in, but you describe almost any traffic court or preliminary hearing court proceeding I have ever witnessed (in CA).

They cram anywhere from 20-40 law offenders in the same courtroom and take care of all of those cases at the same time. Do they really expect you to effectively present your case in this manner?
Who knows? But, that is the venue you have, so you have the choice to present it or not. And not presenting your defense would result in a judgement against you.

If they can't handle all their cases in an individual manner then they are just giving out too many tickets.
Are they arresting too many people as well? Criminal court days can be like this as well.

I do not know about where you live, but out here we could not afford the number of courts and personnel that would be required to give everyone their own private little court hearing.

The only people that should be allowed in MY court hearing are the people that are there for MY case.
Court hearings are generally matters of public record unless they involve juveniles. Anyone can sit in and watch should they so choose.

The other people are distractions and I will not present my case in this manner.
Your choice. But, if the court does not choose to accomodate you (and they likely do not have to do so), be prepared to lose by default.

It irritates me that our law enforcement is giving out so many petty citations that they can't even effectively handle them..and that's the reason they do 40 cases at the same time in the first place..because they are all negligible offenses.
Then run for local government on a platform to curb enforcement of the law. Or, advocate for expanded courts and court personnel. My county court meets once a week for preliminary hearings and there could be less than a dozen one week and upwards of 40 in another week ... the only option would be to ration out justice to a top number and let the rest go. The same holds true in traffic court.

Most of these people are just minor violators that perhaps shouldn't have recieved a citation in the first place (as in my case but thats another story).
In your opinion. I am sure others would have differing opinions.

And since traffic enforcement does have a measurable impact on traffic safety, most people are all for it.

To be honest, the reason all of this bothers me so much is because I have social anxiety and presenting my case in front of all these people severely hampers my effectiveness.
Then hire an attorney to represent you.

So my question is..do I have the right to request for the judge to take care of my case in an individual manner?
It depends on the specific rules in your un-mentioned state. Generally, no. he does not have to accomodate you alone. However, you can always ask to go last. That way there will be fewer people in the courtroom. But, he cannot clear the courtroom as that would not be lawful. If you go last, you will have only a few people remaining and might be able to make your presentation in a better light without the distractions.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back