Auto Loans Mrs Billings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistake1

At the time that a car company repossessed my car they said I was 5 payments behind. We were dealing with a family member who had cancer and just couldnt deal with any more than that. We have since gone back and found that we were actually one payment ahead and have proven where they did not give us credit for the payments made. In the mean time they trashed our credit and continue to report it as a write off. What about the fair credit reporting act and what do I do since it has been several years?

If it has been several years (I am assuming 7 or more) this should no longer show on a credit report and should not be a problem.
If it has not quite been seven years, how much longer until then? It may be easier to simply wait then to try and jump through hoops to get it removed.

If you haven't done so and feel you need to, the first step is typically to report the inaccuracy to the credit bureau (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion). When/if you make those reports you will find a wealth of information regarding your rights and credit reporting.

You can get a free copy of your credit report from the above agencies once per year through this link:
http://www.annualcreditreport.com

It is your fault for not dealing with the error. If you don't advise/prove an error, they will assume their records are accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back