Moving out of school zone but within distict

Status
Not open for further replies.

quuen

I recently moved out of my son's school zone, but still in the same district. We live in Ny and within a school district are a bunch of different school zones. Someone once told me that once a child has been in school for more than 6 months they can not ask you to change schools. How true is this? I love the school my son is in and I wouldn't want him to lose the friends he has made already, he is in Kindergarten and i think this would be traumatic for him. My mom still lives at the old place so I really havent had to notify the school of the address change; however I am afriad it might one day slip out of my son's mouth. What are my chances of keeping him at the school he is in if we notify them of the changes. Thank you.

Difficult to tell and we don't know where you are situated. It may be best to have someone call up the office of the school to discuss the situation and probe them for information. After you have a section of code or general information as to what rule may concern you, do more research. There may be many factors involved and I don't think that the rule is applied to all situations -- it wouldn't make sense if it did.

its okay

I called the district office and was told that as long as my son does not get to school late because of the distance then he is welcome to stay at the school. However he is not entitled to any bus privileges.

That is different than what you originally posted. If your son is out of the school zone, would picking up your child be out of the route in which all other children are able to get to school? Are you being discriminated against as there are others out of the zone getting busing? This really becomes an issue as to whether they are required to provide you busing if you are out of the school zone -- I'm not sure that they would be for obvious reasons of distance and cost.

bussing is within

The children that get bussed are within the school zone...im out of the school zone but still in the district. I really have no problem with that as long as my son is able to stay in the school. Just wanted to update you on the topic just in case anyone else has a problem with this too. Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back