Moving out by the end of lease without a 45 day notice

YiZ123

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Hi,
I am on a monthly lease with my landlord, and was planning to move out by the end of this month (also, the end of my lease). I gave a 10 day notice while the lease requires a 45 day notice. Now my landlord said that since I only gave a 10 day notice, I should pay the rent for next month. I tried to talk with him to see whether he could simply forfeit my security deposit, which is a month's rent the time I was moved in (due to increase of the rent, it's slightly less than a month's rent now) but he refuses to talk with me (hanging up my calls and didn't reply my message). There is no one coming up confirming my move out or finishing the relevant paperwork, either.

I am thus at a lost and not sure if it's legal if I simply move out on my planned date. Is the requirement for me to pay rent for one more month reasonable?

Thanks so much!

Hi,
I am on a monthly lease with my landlord, and was planning to move out by the end of this month (also, the end of my lease). I gave a 10 day notice while the lease requires a 45 day notice. Now my landlord said that since I only gave a 10 day notice, I should pay the rent for next month. I tried to talk with him to see whether he could simply forfeit my security deposit, which is a month's rent the time I was moved in (due to increase of the rent, it's slightly less than a month's rent now) but he refuses to talk with me (hanging up my calls and didn't reply my message). There is no one coming up confirming my move out or finishing the relevant paperwork, either.

I am thus at a lost and not sure if it's legal if I simply move out on my planned date. Is the requirement for me to pay rent for one more month reasonable?

Thanks so much!
Yes, it's very reasonable. By giving the landlord such a short notice, you've left him little time to re-rent the unit.

I gave a 10 day notice while the lease requires a 45 day notice. Now my landlord said that since I only gave a 10 day notice, I should pay the rent for next month.

Makes sense.

There is no one coming up confirming my move out or finishing the relevant paperwork, either.

What paperwork?

I am thus at a lost and not sure if it's legal if I simply move out on my planned date.

It's legal for you to move out whenever you want. The question is what financial consequences will there be. That's impossible for anyone who hasn't read your lease to determine with any certainty.

Is the requirement for me to pay rent for one more month reasonable?

Based solely on what you've written, yes.

There is no one coming up confirming my move out or finishing the relevant paperwork, either.

Then make sure you clean thoroughly and take photos of the condition of the property.

It's breach of contract for which he is entitled to compensation.

My own experience as a landlord suggests that he is likely to just keep your deposit, re-rent, and move on.

OTOH, there is the risk that he may be vindictive and go scorched earth on you, especially if you have left some damage that he has to pay for.

Back