Moving out, but landlord made a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

japerez01

My jurisdiction is: California

Hello,

Im new to this board, and have a few questions as this is my first apartment that I'm moving out of and moving into a home I just bought, I recently bought a short sale.

I provided my landlords assistant with a 30 day written notice on 06.22.09 informing her of my intentions to vacate. I informed her at that time that I might need until the end of the month since I was still having carpet put in and a few other things might not be finished by 07.22.09, the assistant stated that they understood and would allow me to pay the difference of my rent (Ive only paid thru 07.22.09) and be able to stay thru the end of July.

On 07.01.09 I went in to the managers office to pay my 22 days of July. The manager, rude as always, was on the phone and asked me to wait around for her. Finally got off the phone and I proceeded to pay her the rent for July (all 22 days). She willing took the check and started small talk about them receiving our 30 days notice and how they were sad to see us go when her phone rings again. She answered the phone as she was filling out my receipt. As I am walking back to my apartment I notice that instead of putting down Paid from 07.01.09 - 07.22.09 she puts down I paid from 07.01.09 - 07.31.09!!!

Now here is my situation. I will have to stay at the apt building until the end of the month. I still have carpet being put in, and some kitchen counters. I always paid on time at this apartment building, I never had complaints and never got into anything with anyone. When my lease was up they increased my rent pay 100.00 a month becuase "of the economy". However I knew people that had just moved in, and they were paying 230.00 dollars less than I was!

So now the landlord has made a mistake, and accepted 22 days worth of rent as a whole months worth of rent...or am I wrong? Does the reciept not have any meaning to it? What will my concequences be if I dont pay the rest of the month and stay until the 31st? Please help, I dont know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back