Roomate Moved out after roomate tried to kill me....am I liable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebragginator

I signed a lease with three other people at an apartment complex. WE were all on separate leases. My room mate freaked out one day and choked me until i almost passed out then threatened to kill me with the gun he had in his room. My friend tried to step in and help, then he choked him and threatened him as well. WE filed four criminal charges against him and he had two warrants for his arrest. the manager of the property said she would do everything she could to ensure we are safe and to get us out of this situation. SHE LIED!! She did not evict him for almost two months after the incident. WE had a no contact ordinance with the suspect and decided it was not safe for us to live on the grounds with him anymore. We had no choice but to move out because we feared for our lives and she would not evict the tenant who threatened us. WE moved out three days after the incident occurred, and gave the manager formal notice and she was present when we moved out. I now have an outstanding balance on my credit because she sent my unpaid rent to the credit agencies. I even asked if i could buy out of my lease and she said there were no options but to just pay rent for the months i had moved out. I feel this is unfair because all she had to do was evict the tenant and sublease our rooms in the apartment. Also she was supposed to provide a safe living environment for us, which she did not do by letting a psycho with a gun keep living on the property. So we had no choice. No my credit is ruined and i cannot afford to pay off the balance.

My questions is? do i have a chance at taking the apartment manager/owners to court for ruining my credit. Or do i have no choice but to pay because i breached the lease. Any advice will help. Thanks

You should talk to a couple of local lawyers.

You may have a way out of this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back