Moved out 5.5 yrs ago and all of a suddent a collection agency is calling me

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilyb02

Last week I received a call from a collection agency stating that I owed $598 for ruined carpet in an apartment that I lived in over 5 yrs ago. This is the first time that I have ever been told of this. I gave the Mgr a 30 day notice. After I moved out of the apt, and I can't remember how long after, I called the Mgr to ask when my security deposit would be returned. She stated that it would not be returned because the apt was not clean when I moved out. She mentioned nothing about additional charges over and above the $500 ($200 sec, $300 pet) money. I never rec'd anything notification from them, there is nothing on my credit report about any collection activity. Then out of the blue, I get this call demanding $598. The collector told me that this amount had already been put on my credit bureau report, but it hasn't. Then he threatened filing a judgement against me. I can't believe after all this time and not one communication to me that I am obligated to pay. I have lived in the same house with the same phone number and even work at the same place since I left that apt in March 1998.

How do I dispute something that is so old I no longer have any documentation? I can't even remember the apt mgr's name.

Is there a statute of limitations on this?

I would not be asking these questions if I had been previously advised of this situation. How do I defend my position or the actual damages/claim when I moved out 5 yrs ago??

Hoping someone can help me. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back