Medical Malpractice Mother experiences short term memory loss after routine surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriHullaby

My mother had what she thought was a cold but she kept experiencing drainage so she went to the Doctor, they told her it was a sinus infection,gave her some antibiotics and sent her home. She was still experiencing drainage so the Dr took a sample of the fluid, turns out it was spinal fluid leaking from her nasal cavity. After more tests they determined that the Dr who performed a sinus surgery she had a few years ago took too much bone off and that she had a birth defect, she had "too much" brain, and the "extra" brain she had was poking out of the hole, so they did more tests to check and see if the brain that was poking out of the hole served a purpose, turns out it didnt. So they cut it off. She was in the hospital for about 4 days; they told her that at a later date she would have to have another surgery. The leak back soon, so they decided to do the next procedure which was to close the hole. According to my Mother this was supposed to be a simple procedure, before the surgery she told me it would be an outpatient procedure, she would go home the same day or the next day at the latest. But after they surgery they told her they inserted a drain to keep spinal fluid off the wound so that it could heal properly and that she would need to stay for 5 days, on the 5th day they would take the drain out and she could go home the next day. They took the drain out on the 5th day, they kept her pretty drugged up because of the pain, but as she regained her composure we noticed she had no recollection of the last week. My grandmother asked her what kind of medication she was on and my mother responded with "snowboarding", when my Brother called her to ask what she was up to, she said she had just gotten off from work and at home resting. She hasn't shown ANY emotion. After more tests they found she didnt have any fluid around her brain which causes short term memory loss and dementia. They're sending her home today. We're completely unprepared for this, we thought she'd be back to work in a week. I've done small amounts of research on her surgery and I cant find accounts of ANYONE going through the same thing.
Do we have a case?

Last edited:
Hire a malpractice lawyer to examine your case.

...but do you think that this particular case has a chance of actually winning? I dont have money to toss around. I dont want to give anyone any money unless I have a chance.

You have asked an exceptionally complicated question.

A medical malpractice attorney can help you assess it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back