Mother Added Son to title and now he threatens to move in GF after restraining order expires

Michael Johns

Jurisdiction
California
I have a friend, who added her only son to the title of her house. He threatened to sell the house but found out he needed her approval so he dropped that. His mother has a restraining order against his GF which is due to expire in a few months. He has told his mother that he will move his GF in as soon as the restraining order expires. If the restraining order does expire, does he have the legal right to move his GF in, if his mother doesn't want her there? The mother is trying to get the restraining order "renewed" for lack of a better word but does the mother have any legal way to stop the GF from moving in, regardless of the restraining order? Is there anyway for her to remove him from the title?

If the restraining order does expire, does he have the legal right to move his GF in, if his mother doesn't want her there?

Yes. He is part owner of the house.

does the mother have any legal way to stop the GF from moving in

Not if the restraining order expires. The son has as much right to let someone live there as the mother.

Is there anyway for her to remove him from the title?

When she "put him on the title (deed) she conveyed part ownership to him. She can't "remove" him now. He is part owner and would have to convey ownership back to her by signing a quitclaim deed.

Doesn't she realize that she gave him a gift of half the equity in the house and he doesn't have to give it back?

I hope she has good reason to get the restraining order extended.

I have a friend, who added her only son to the title of her house.

WHY?

If the restraining order does expire, does he have the legal right to move his GF in, if his mother doesn't want her there?

According to you, he owns the house as much as she does, so of course he has that right.

does the mother have any legal way to stop the GF from moving in, regardless of the restraining order?

No.

Is there anyway for her to remove him from the title?

Not unless he agrees, which circles back to the original question: why on Earth did she "add[] her . . . son to the title"?

Back