Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication misdemeanor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollymac

I got a "ticket" about 15 years ago in NYC for having a small amount of marajuana on me. I appeared in court, pleaded guilty and paid a fine of $25. I was never finger printed or arrested or anything like that. Do I have a record? Is it a misdemeanor? I'm applying for a job in a school and have to do a criminal record background check and am worrying if this will show up. Please advise ASAP. Also, if it does show up can I have it expunged??
Thank you.

Q: Do I have a record? Is it a misdemeanor?

A: Yes and yes.

Thank you. I think? How can I have my misdemeanor record expunged? Is it a long process? What does your quote from Ben Franklin mean?

Q: How can I have my misdemeanor record expunged?

A: Even if you get it expunged, some private background service will always have it.

Q: Is it a long process?

A: Yes.

Q: What does your quote from Ben Franklin mean?

A: Be nice; it doesn't cost you anything. :angel

Do you think it will prevent me from working in a public school?

I really don't know.

However, going by some of the teachers I know, there doesn't seem to be a very high standard for them anymore.

(Oh, boy...I am going to get slammed for that! :no:)

Anyway, you tell them about it; then you don't have to worry about them finding out some other way.

Gotcha! I may have to switch my major from Education if this will probhibit me from becoming a teacher, unless they allow me to teach in an impoverished area. What a dummy I was back then.

how do I get my misdemeanor record expunged in NYC?

What is the process in getting a NYC misdemeanor expunged?

Possession Of Marijuana Ticket In Nyc

I was never arrested, just went and paid the $25 ticket, are you certain this is still a misdemeanor?

Bad Advice

In some places Pot possession is a civil infraction, not a misdemeanor. Like Ann Arbor, MI. . .

The best thing you can do is a background check on yourself. Then you'll know for sure, and not have the anxiety and uncertainty.

Then, you need to contact schools around you if it is on your record and ask their advice and hiring practices.

Thank you so much for your answer, you've given me a lot of hope!! I've already submitted an FBI background check and had my finger prints done so I'll know for sure soon enough.
At the time I got the "ticket", I was never arrested or finger printed or even i.d.'d (is that a word?), and was never asked for my SSN or to have a photo taken so I'm hoping (and praying) it was a "civil infraction" as you put it.

Thanks again for considering the anxiety I AM going through! Its a complete waste of time and energy worrying about something I have no control of at this point in my life. You are also so right about the DUI, it is far worse and I was a lot younger and know better now. Thanks again and I hope you are right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back