Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication mip in michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishiknewlaw

I am 20 years old and recieved an MIP in Ottawa County a while ago and my court date is coming up. I believe this is technically my first MIP, but I am worried because I got one when I was 16 (that is supposed to be wiped off of my record), one when I was 17 (that got changed to a refusal to take a breathalizer), and one when I was 19 (that was also wiped off of my record after facing a small amount of probation). The judge for the 3rd offence acted like it was my first MIP so I do not know what to think. I dont know if it matters but each offence was in a different county. Since the last incident I have been to multiple AA meetings and have attended a long class provided through school. I have talked to multiple lawyers and all of them have given me different opinions. One said that he could only charge me as a first timer and another said that I should plead not guilty and try and work out a plea deal. Another said that I shouldnt plead not guilty or stand mute because this judge will try and make an example of me if I do that. So I am confused. I have a lot to lose and I know I made the decision to put those things at risk. I have no problem doing whatever it takes to make this better. So please if youve read this far, if you have any advice about what you think would be the best legal action I would greatly appreciate it. I am already done drinking so I could do without that advice btw. Thanks for anyone willing to help.

Pleading not guilty and working out a plea deal makes the most sense. Of course, be sure you are retaining AA sign-in sheets. It would probably be a bonus if you get a sponser and they appear or write a letter on your behalf.

Good Luck.

thank you

Thanks for your help, I dont have a sponsor in AA, but I was seeing a liscenced psycologist for months before the incident. She diagnosed me as depressed and I have also talked to her about the drinking. She does not think I am an alcoholic and she believes that I am handling this situation well. Do you think it would be helpful to get a letter from her stating these things for me?

Also, is it a guarentee that if you plead not guilty you will get to talk to a prosecuting attorney or somebody about worknig out a plea deal?

It would be great if you can get a letter from her, but make sure the emphasis isn't on them saying you aren't an "alcoholic" as the court may then discount the opinion.

If you plead not guilty, almost everywhere you will then have a "pre-trial conference" where you can then talk to the prosecutor.

GOOD LUCK!

MIP that I do not deserve

Hi,

This weekend I had a run in with the law and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what I should do. I was at Central visiting some friends and I got a Minor In Possession. I was not drinking at all, had no alcohol on me, and had no intention of drinking. We were driving to an apartment from my friends dorm and we were pulled over for having an out license plate light by a State Police car with two cops in it. I was sitting in the front seat and there were a few people in the back as well. The police officer asked if we had anything in the car that we shouldn't have had and the driver said that there was some beer in the trunk. Which was his and one other guy that was in the car no one else's. So the police proceeded to give everyone in the car MIP's. I have a court date November 6th for the arraignment and I was wondering what I should do. If you could get back to me on this that would be great. Thank you for your time.

Seth

Did the officer use the term "common source"

You should definately fight it, and it's good of your friends to take ownership of it. Your ticket is probably within bounds of the legal definition of MIP in Michigan, but it was not the intent of the legislature for someone like you to get an MIP in that situation. Try to get an attorney to let you know what is likely to happen in Mt. Pleaseant area. If you can't afford an attorney, you should still fight it. If the Judge hears what happened I think it's most likely it will be dropped.

Good Luck

Well when i was 16 i got an mip similar to yours it was alcohol in vehicle not opened and was my boyfreinds, a minor as well and we both got mip's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back