Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP: First Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

deborah0527

My daughter is 20 years old. She was in a vehicle (not moving) with 3 friends (all under 21 and all ticketed) after they told police there was beer in the vehicle. She was ticketed under statute 30-89b (MIP) in the state of CT. None were given any alcohol tests. I contacted the Centralized Infractions Bureau and was informed if she just pays the ticket, per CT law it's an automatic license suspension a $175 fine and a criminal infraction for alcohol that remains on her permanent record.

My question is: Is it better for her to go to court and admit guilt? I have no idea what her penalties could be if she does this? Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

My daughter is 20 years old. She was in a vehicle (not moving) with 3 friends (all under 21 and all ticketed) after they told police there was beer in the vehicle. She was ticketed under statute 30-89b (MIP) in the state of CT. None were given any alcohol tests. I contacted the Centralized Infractions Bureau and was informed if she just pays the ticket, per CT law it's an automatic license suspension a $175 fine and a criminal infraction for alcohol that remains on her permanent record.

My question is: Is it better for her to go to court and admit guilt? I have no idea what her penalties could be if she does this? Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Every person alleged to have committed any offense or crime is innocent until proven guilty.

A guilty plea on such a charge could prove devastating to your daughter.

I suggest she plead not guilty and retain an attorney to represent her.

An attorney will be able to explain her rights to her, and in most cases can obtain a deferred sentence which will (if she follows the program) be removed from her record,and NOT RESULT in the loss of her license.

If she pleads not guilty she can see about getting a lesser charge that does not result in a suspended license. It is a petty enough offense that if she has a clean record it might even get dismissed. Lawyer up or make use of the public defender.

Also, sobriety tests were not required as the charge was for possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back