Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication mip charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordon3

i was at a concert and had a beer and a coozy and a cop came out of nowhere and got me. i didnt have a wallet on me at the time=no id. but i didnt want to get into anymore trouble and gave them my info. they gave me a ticket on the spot and a court date. i heard from somebody that they send you something further in the mail in the following weeks that gives you more info on it and if you don't get it you might be off the hook. not sure how valid this was but it's been about 2 weeks and nothing at all. does anyone know if this is true and further does anyone know how diversion works for mips in kansas? im 19 and this is my first offense.
thanks in advance

Gordon,

Depending on the state they may send your a friendly reminder about your court date. However, if the ticket you were written has a specific court date you MUST go on that date or you will have a warrant. Do not hope that your ticket slips through the cracks. A first offense MIP is not a reason to go to jail over!

I'm not familier with Kansas sentencing. Generally first offenses for MIP are dealt with an alcohol class, maybe some small amount of community service and a small fine. Considering your age and criminal background you probably can get the charge defrerred so you do not have to plead guilty.

If you state provides a Public Defender at the initial court date speak with them if you qualify. If the state does not provide you with a PD at the initial court date, plead not guilty and obtain an attorney.

As always its always best to consult an attorney. Good Luck.

Disclaimer- This is not legal advice. I am not a licensed attorney. This is merely a lay opinion. Gotta love Free Speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back