Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP 20yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyhattrick

I attending university in Washington. On Weekend night, my friend and i decided to go to the party. When we were walking back from the party. we see this two guy with a Keg. So we talk to them for few min and we split off. When i was just with my friend, cop pulled over and gave us tickets. We didn't have any alcohol with us and we won't that drunk. Any way he handcuff us and gave us MIP tickets. No Breathalyzer or sobriety test. I didn't even talk to the cop other than giving him my info. I guess police report said they can smell alcohol on us....
I can either fight it or 16hrs of community service + $300 fine. What should i do ? I don't want to hire lawyer cause that cost way too much

Last edited:
You should seek legal advice, it is very important and can often greatly reduce your charges. You could ask for a copy of the police report, which would allow you to see a more detailed account of what the officers witnessed. You say you were drinking though, so it is very probable that they smelled the alcohol on you, plus they probably saw you speaking with the boys carrying the keg. I don't believe that they have to give you a breatalizer in order to issue an MIP, you can recieve an MIP for carrying an unopened container of alcohol, even if you haven't drank a drop. However I could be wrong, a breathalizer might be necessary.

I think the bottom line is that if you're underage (the police officer looked at your I.D. I'm assuming) and it is obvious you had been drinking or you were in possession of alcohol, then you broke the law. As far as I know you are not required to take a breathalizer or sobriety test to determine just how drunk you are when you obviously aren't supposed to be drinking in the first place. Just wait one year till you're 21! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back