Minors name change

C

Custodial Mom

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
I'm looking to change my 6 year old daughter's surname from my maiden name to my married name in order to create family unity. she has expressed emotions of feeling out of place in our home, where she has lived for 3 years, & previously with me while we shared my maiden name. she knows that her younger sister has my new name & will soon have a brother as well with the different last name. She feels left out in household. Her paternal father has filed to intervene & then request her surname be his surname instead. How do I successfully get the change to my married name? I'm not out to prove her father less important, just create unity & make her feel secure about her place in our home.
Please advise.

If Dad objects, then guess what? Name change is not happening. Mayhaps the adults should not make such a big deal about the last name, or change the rest of the family's name to match Daughter's.

She may legally have to remain Mary Smith, but can ask to be called Mary Jones until she is 18 and can change it herself. I have a family member who did just that.

Likewise, if you and your husband agree, you can change/give the other children your maiden name, and you are free to change back to it yourself.

I'm looking to change my 6 year old daughter's surname from my maiden name to my married name in order to create family unity. she has expressed emotions of feeling out of place in our home, where she has lived for 3 years, & previously with me while we shared my maiden name. she knows that her younger sister has my new name & will soon have a brother as well with the different last name. She feels left out in household. Her paternal father has filed to intervene & then request her surname be his surname instead. How do I successfully get the change to my married name? I'm not out to prove her father less important, just create unity & make her feel secure about her place in our home.
Please advise.

Filing a Petition to Change the Name of a Child(ren)

Right there. From the Nebraska Supreme Court website.

If Dad doesn't want it you won't get it.

When we found out my youngest brother was the result of my mom's affair (and then she married the guy) my mom and her asshat husband tried to change his name. They couldn't (in South Dakota) even with a paternity test. They would have had to get another one I heard but couldn't afford it. (My mom was married to my dad when he was born so my dad has always been and still is my brother's legal father).

When he turned 18 they guilted him into changing his last name. That's just an example.

Back