Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders minor rights on school grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jen72costa

17 yo female was brought into the school police officers office behind closed doors and questioned intensly for an hour regarding the contents of said journal. Details of drug and sexual activity. Child informed parents when she came home from school. School has had journal in its posession for 15 days without contacting the parents regarding concerns of safety. School police is threatning "criminal investigation". This journal was stolen out of 17 yo back pack at school. please advise

What advice do you want?

Do you want to know if anyone did anything wrong? Do you want to know if there is someone to sue?

How did the school come into possession of the journal? Did they find it on the person of the alleged thief?

First, it would help to know what state you are in as state laws do vary.

Second, the police have a right to question people. If the police intend to use any of her statements against her, then Miranda rules might apply, but that would be something her attorney could address if she is ever charged with any crime.

The school is not likely under any legal responsibility to advise parents of such journal entries being discovered. Depending on the circumstances, there could be some very good reasons NOT to let you know.

Third, if the journal articulates your daughter's involvement in criminal activity (unlawful sexual activity and/or drug use, etc.) then you should consider obtaining an attorney for her.

Have you considered reigning her in, yet? In many instances, a prosecutor might opt not to pursue a criminal matter if they believe the parents are taken affirmative and aggressive steps to address the child's issues - in this case, perhaps freedom to engage in sex and drug activity. Address these issues at home, and she might be able to avoid prosecution.

Personally, I would be mortified to find out my child was engaged in drug and/or sex activity ... prosecution and school penalties would be the LEAST of his problems!!

- Carl

From what I read the journal was taken from her backpack by unknown party. Then it was taken to school officials. Whether the school knew how journal was obtained is unknown. They acted in a manner I would suspect they would. The journal was taken to proper authorities to deal with in what is hoped a lawful manner. Calling you may not be called for until they have all the facts. It is not unlawful for Police to investigate a possible crime. Since she was not charged nor does it appear she was under arrest I dont see Miranda applying. Ok your not going to like this next statement. Instead of attacking school or Police for questioning this why not question your child for her apparant unlawful acts!:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back